Yesterday, the eleventh, the team went to a small field by Butner, NC to test our fully assembled subscale rocket. The subscale rocket is about half as thick and tall and the real rocket, but it flies similarly. The rocket flew to about 960 feet, a little under expectations. The real rocket is to fly as close to a mile high as possible. The rocket landed in one piece and recovery went smoothly. Below is a slow motion video of just the launch, and more videos may be uploaded at a later date.
Last week, after we finished our subscale, we tested the black powder charges that release the drogue parachute (which we don't have on the subscale), and the main parachute. Both were an astounding success! The reason for these tests are to make sure the rocket will separate correctly and that the parachute will come out.
Over the last week and our school's winter break, we have spent long hours working on our subscale, which we finally finished and prepared Friday. Refer to the subtitles on each picture for more information on them.
This blog will be updated once a week over the course of the 2018-2019 school year, detailing our progress. It will be signed at the end by a member of the team.